The tradition of Chwaliszewo located on the Royal-Emperial Road
It's good to know that Chwaliszewo Street is a part of tourist track called "The Royal-Emperial Road". It connects many special places in Poznań which are linked with the personalities of former royalties. Since 2005 "The Royal-Emperial Road" has been a partnership program to organize cultural, artistic and educational enterprises. The program is run by the Town Council of Poznań and is a realization of The National Strategy of Cultural Development for the period of 2004-2013.
The location of The Royal-Emperial Road is strictly connected with the city's development and it's architecture. It begins at the first seat of Piasts, the first Royal Dynasty of Poland, passing the middle-aged city, the modern city up to the contemporary parts. Traced from the east to the west, it begins at the St.John's of Jeruzalem on Komandoria Street, passes through the Middle island, Cathedral Island, district of Chwaliszewo, Old Market, Plac Wolności, Street 27 Grudnia, Street Fredry and Street Dąbrowskiego, up to the Church of The Sacred Heart of Jesus and St. Florian's Church, which is the last point closing the road on the west side of the city.
City's representative entrance used to be the Wielka Street, beginning at Chwaliszewo and ending on the front part of the town hall on the Old Market. Numerous corteges of dignified guests hurried hereby once upon the time.
On the road there are many monuments and tourist attractions. Most important of them are the renaissance town hall, classicistic building of the Raczynski's Library, the baroque town's church. The road is called royal due to the fact that here came into existence the first royal seat of Piasts - the Palatium of Mieszko I on the Cathedral Island. On the road we find The Royal Castle, the first and the biggest royal fortificated residence in Poland. Through the historical parts of Poznań passed the royal corteges, walking to the cathedral on the island which is the oldest royal cemetery in Poland.
The road is also called imperial as the emperor Otto III came in 1000 to Gniezno to meet the polish King Bolesław Chrobry. What's more emperor Napoleon Bonaparte made Poznań his residence for a few weeks during his stay in Wielkopolska in the years 1806-1812, while running his army. The next emperor that was significant for Poznań was Wilhelm II, the last German emperor and King of Prussia, who has build the imperial castle in Poznań.
The history of the part of the city Chwaliszewo, that used to be once an island on the Warta river, is connected with the settlement on the dam connecting the cathedral island with the left riverside of Poznań.. The first settlers appeared there in IX century because of the king's pallatium and the cathedral on the cathedral island. The settlement on the Chwaliszewo island was the most important because there passed the road connecting the east parts of the country of Piasts with the west ones.
Chwaliszewo was the place to cross the Warta river for a period of 700 years. The two bridges, Chwaliszewski and Tumski, secured the connection between Poznań and cathedral island, thus ensuring for the voyagers from the east and north the movement to the west. In XV century the settlement got a location privilege of becoming a small town of 100 inhabitants. The axe of the town was a street similar to the contemporary Chwaliszewo street. With independent government, the town hall and two churches the small town was an important handcraft centre in competition to Poznań.
For collectors, the Gallery may agree to search for commissioned masterpieces.
Depending on the specific interests and preferences of our customers, we can prepare and present individual offers complementing your collections.